Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Super Sidekicks: Chunky Ranch Potatoes

In an earlier entry, I mentioned that I had compiled all of my recipes into a spreadsheet so that I would be able to keep track of which ones I've done. Turns out this actuallly complicates the What's-For-Dinner process. I would just stare at that recipe list for several minutes, flipping through its pages, trying to decide what to make. So, now what happens is, every other week or so I pull the pages off the refrigerator, hand them over to Matt and tell him, "Pick three or four things off this list and I will make them."

So, that's what's been going on. This time around, Matt pointed out that I hadn't made any side dishes or desserts lately. I realized he was right! My last side dish was months ago and the last dessert was on Superbowl Sunday. I asked him to pick a few side dishes for me to make, and this was one of them! I was really craving some meat loaf, so this side dish was made to accopany that. But I think it would be great with some pork chops or even a nice steak.

CHUNKY RANCH POTATOES
YOU WILL NEED:
3 pounds medium red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
1 cup water
1/2 cup prepared ranch dressing
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese (optional)
1/4 cup minced chives 
mise-en-place

You will also need your crock pot. That's it!

You can find chives in the produce section of your supermarket. They are supr easy to mince. Just grab a handful and have at it with your knife!

Don't forget that you must wash your potatoes and dig out any eyes before you place them in your crock pot. Make sure you give them a good rinse in some cold water after they're quartered too!

1. Place potatoes in crock pot. Add water. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 9 HOURS or HIGH 4 to 6 HOURS, or until the potatoes are tender.

2. Stir in ranch dressing, cheese (if desired) and chives. Use a spoon to break potatoes into chunks. Serve hot or cold!
And they're done! This ain't your mama's meat and potatoes! I thought that the water that was used to steam the potatoes would make the ranch dressing very runny. However, I found the opposite was true - the water worked with the ranch and the cheese to make a thick, creamy sauce

Now, I'm usually skeptical of recipes that say "serve hot or cold", because it's not always true. But, this afternoon, as I was heating up some potatoes and meatloaf for lunch, I took a taste of the cold potatoes - WOW! They are rockin' when cold! I could definitely see this being served at an outdoor picnic alongside hot dogs and hamburgers.

Well, as for that dessert entry, that should be posted tomorrow! Chocolate pecan pie courtesy of Paula Deen, y'all!

Until next time, eat drink and be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment