Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Costolette alla Pizzaiola

Or, "pork chops with tomato sauce". I like being all fancy. I know, you probably thought you were getting some kind of pizza dish, huh? Sorry to disappoint you, but "pizzaiola" is just a fancy way of saying "tomato sauce". When a dish is cooked "alla pizzaiola", it means the tomato sauce was used to tenderize the meat.

So, howdy there! I hope you're ready, because I'm going away for a week and not cooking. My fiance is going to be on his own for FIVE DAYS! ZOMG, I better unplug every single appliance and put a lock on the microwave and only give Colleen the key. 

No, I'm kidding. My fiance has the ability to cook, he just chooses not to because now he has me to do it ;-)

Anyway, because I'm not going to be home or cooking, I'm going to be posting up a storm over the next few days! I've got FOUR - count 'em, FOUR - recipes coming up! I'll tell you what they are later!

This recipe, at first glance, looked incredibly difficult. Turns out, it's really not! I was so excited to discover this!  This is an impressive recipe. It just needs to be broken down in a way so that it's not overwhelming. 

COSTOLETTE ALLA PIZZAIOLA (Pork Chops with Tomato Sauce), courtesy of "Basic Italian"
YOU WILL NEED:
4 pork chops, not too thick (cutlets will also work)
Salt, freshly ground black pepper
4 sprigs fresh marjoram or oregano
4 cloves garlic
1 (14oz) can peeled tomatoes 
1/4 cup olive oil 
1/2 cup red wine 
1 tablesppon tomato paste 
1 tablespoon capers (optional)
mise-en-place
You will also need a large skillet. I did not have fresh oregano or marjoram, and there's absolutely no harm in using dried herbs. It doesn't make you a bad cook, it doesn't make you a cheater. Especially if it's an herb you don't use very often. I rarely if ever cook with oregano, so I stick to the dried stuff. I love rosemary (especially on potatoes!), so I always make sure I have fresh on hand.

A quick note about cooking with wine: I am not a vino whatsoever. I mean, I drink Arbor Mist, okay?! AND IT'S DELICIOUS. But when it comes to the real stuff, I haven't a clue. However, the best rule of thumb is, if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. NEVER buy "cooking sherry" or "cooking wine". Spend a little extra and get the good stuff.

Now, if you're an idiot when it comes to wines, like myself, when in doubt, ask an expert. I happen to have a Bottle King right by my apartment, but if you go into pretty much any liquor store, they usually know their stuff. Explain that you need a good red wine (or white or sherry, or whatever) that is suitable to drink and cook with, preferably for under ten or fifteen dollars (depending on your budget) For example, when I made French Pot Roast, I needed a dry red wine. I explained to the salesperson what I needed, and he was very knowledgeable - he led me to a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that only cost $10, and not only have I used it in several recipes, I've even had a glass or two. It turns out, I'm learning to love wine!

Put down your glass and let's cook, okay?

1. Pat chops dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Rinse and dry herbs, strip off leaves and tear in half any large leaves (if using fresh).

2. Peel garlic, cut in half and then slice thinly. Chop tomatoes and reserve the juice from the can. 

3. In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Saute chops on both sides at high heat until lightly browned; remove and transfer to a plate. 

4. Pour remaining oil into pan. Stir in garlic and saute briefly. Add herbs, tomatoes with their juice, wine and tomato paste; season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit.

5. Place chops in the sauce and spoon a little sauce over the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. 

6. Garnish with capers if desired, and serve! 

YUM! The pork chops came out GREAT! They were moist and flavorful and the sauce had a great tang to it thanks to the red wine. In fact, I was thinking that this would make a great pasta sauce. A little pizzaiola sauce, a little Italian sausage over linguine - fuhgeddaboudit!

I was going to make roasted potatoes to go alongside this dish, but I didn't have the energy. There's nothing wrong with instant mashed potatoes! A little peas and pearl onions and I had a meal that I was proud to serve! This is a great recipe to serve if you're having a special gathering of extra-special people. It looks and tastes impressive but the work is minimal (and cleanup is a breeze, by the way, considering everything is done in one pan). 

Okay, so I've got some great recipes coming up this week: a great lasagna recipe, an easy chicken piccata and an even easier fried chicken recipe, and, as a grand finale: homemade New England clam chowder! I'm particularly excited about that. It's yet another crock pot recipe, so you know what that means - tons of leftovers!

By the way, I want to thank my readers who have been so excited to try the recipes featured here! There are only two that I know of, but if there are more of you out there, let me know! What did you try?  Did you like it? What was hard or easy about it? If you haven't, do you want to try any of them? Talky, talky! =)

Until next time - eat, drink and be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment