Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Homemade Fried Chicken & Mashed Potatoes

I used to live in a small town where the height of weekend entertainment was hanging out at Pathmark and going to the movies (back before tickets were 11 bucks a pop). To go anywhere exciting, you needed two things: a car (or someone with a car) and to drive at least thirty minutes down the highway. We didn't even have a Starbuck's anywhere remotely close. A few years ago, when a Sonic opened up, it was such a big deal that for weeks you couldn't go anywhere near it because the drive-thru lines were so monstrous. My brother once waited for almost two hours to get service from the roller skating waitstaff. 

Recently, I moved (thank God). I moved to a town with a main road that's been affectionately dubbed Junk Food Alley. Nearly every conceivable fast food chain is located only 5 minutes away. Well, there's no Taco Bell. A great travesty. 
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, when fast food is so easily within arm;s reach, it's tempting to make the wrong decisions when it comes to making food choices.

Other than Taco Bell, my biggest fast food weakness is KFC. 
Yesterday, tomorrow, and forever!
One day - actually, for several days - I was jonesing real bad for some KFC. It was all I could think about eating. But I really didn't want to spend money on fast food; it's just so bad for you, and my body's not really the type that can handle fast food. Every so often I'll cave and go to Taco Bell or Wendy's, but at KFC, I can really do some damage. So, what was my solution? Make it myself! Google is a marvelous tool for curious, novice cooks!

Frying is a technique that I had been tentative about trying, especially when I first attempted to make English-Style Fish & Chips. I thought it would be a dreadfully messy venture, sure to leave me with horrific scars from splattering oil. But, as it turns out, like most of my culinary assumptions, I was wrong! If you've got a deep enough stockpot, you can fry.

This recipe is not exactly the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices, but it's just as good. It comes from the Food Network's website, courtesy of Ina Garten, aka the Barefoot Contessa. I decided at the last minute to make homemade mashed potatoes and didn't think to take pictures of the process. However, I will include the recipe so that you can have a good old Southern family dinner!

Please note: the chicken needs to be prepped OVERNIGHT!


OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN, courtesy of the Food Network & Ina Garten
YOU WILL NEED:
2 (3 lb) chickens, cut into 8 serving pieces
1 quart buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablesppon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
mise-en-place
Oh, buttermilk - my arch nemesis. We meet again. Luckily, this time I was in need of an entire quart and it did not go to waste! Huzzah! It is, however, still gross.

As you're probably well aware, I am all for shortcuts. Instead of getting two 3-pound chickens that I had to dismember myself, I found in the meat department, the most glorious thing: a whole chicken already cut up, by Perdue! AH! It was about one dollar more expensive than buying a pre-dismembered chicken, but you know what? If I don't have to do it, I'm going to pay that extra dollar. So, if you know how to take apart a chicken, disregard this shortcut. But if you're a little too nervous to attempt it yourself, Perdue's whole cut up chicken is right up your alley. Be forewarned, the breast pieces are monstrous! I had to to fry them one at a time because my stockpot simply was not big enough.

Alright, let's make some finger-lickin' fried chicken in your very own kitchen!

1. Place all the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk and coat each piece thoroughly with the flour mixture (if your bowl has a lid, it's much simpler if you cover the bowl and shake it to coat the chicken pieces).

3. Pour oil into a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 360 degrees F on a thermometer. Working in batches, carefully place several pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden brown (it will continue to brown in the oven). Don't crowd the pieces.

5. Remove the chicken from the oil and place each piece on a metal baking rack set on a sheet pan (if you do not have a metal baking rack, it is perfectly okay). Allow the oil to return to 360 degrees F before frying the next batch.

6. When all the chicken is fried, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside. Serve hot.

Now, like I said, I decided at the last minute to make homemade mashed potatoes. I know I said in the Costolette alla Pizzaiola entry that there's nothing wrong with instant mashed - and there isn't. But I was craving a chunky type of side dish. Not quite instant mashed, and not quite baked potatoes. Homemade mashed potatoes are, in my opinion, that perfect compromise.


TRADITIONAL MASHED POTATOES, courtesy of Allrecipes.com
YOU WILL NEED:
6 medium potatoes, cubed (russet or red or a combination of both will do)
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper, to taste.

You will also need a large saucepan or stockpot, and a large ore medium-sized mixing bowl. 

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
3. Drain well, place potatoes in a mixing bowl. Add milk, butter, salt and pepper.
4. Mash and serve!


If you don't have a potato masher, any broad type of spoon will do. I like it a little chunky so I didn't have to do a lot of mashing.

Anyway, there you have it! This chicken was perfect. It was easy, despite the frying. My only gripe was that it took just so long to make. But then again, I started cooking late and maybe I was just impatient.

I'm tagging this as EASY and SIDE DISH. Both the chicken and potatoes are easy. If you've never tried to fry before, I'd say this is the perfect recipe to try it out on. I don't think I'll ever buy fast food fried chicken ever again! By the way, it tastes DELICIOUS cold - just like good fried chicken should!

Well, tonight is leftovers night. Tomorrow is chicken piccata and Sunday is homemade New England clam chowder! YUM! Then I'll be gone for a few days. Can you stand it?

Until next time - eat, drink and be merry! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment