Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas

So, on Thursday night, my fiance and three of his friends are going to a Johnnie Walker tasting event. I'm taking this opportunity to invite a group of friends over for a Mexican-themed fiesta para chicas. I'm pulling out all the stops: homemade tortilla chips with fresh guacamole, nachos, Quesadilla Casserole, arroz amarillo, black-bean stuffed peppers (for my vegetarian friend), and, to top it all of, margarita cupcakes! To go with the theme, I've also got a pitcher of Spanish sangria brewing in the fridge.

I know this is going to push back the much anticipated Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe, but I thought it would be fun to do a group of Mexican-cuisine inspired recipes leading up to my party. I'm going to post the recipes I have for the black-bean stuffed peppers and the margarita cupcakes, and a recipe for Huevos Rancheros. And, of course, this one that you're reading right now: Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas.

Also, this recipe incorporates one of my most favorite little kitchen helpers: McCormick Recipe Inspirations (I've used them in two prior recipes and I'm eventually going to try all of them). As I've said before, I love citrus in my foods. Lime, lemon, orange - it's all good. Garlic is also a love of mine (the more the better and damn the consequences! That's why breath mints were invented right?).


GARLIC LIME CHICKEN FAJITAS, courtesy of McCormick Recipe Inspirations
Makes 8 servings
YOU WILL NEED:
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips.
1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
1 tsp minced garlic*
1 tsp minced onions*
3/4 tsp ground cumin*
3/4 tsp oregano*
1/2 tsp cilantro*
1/2 tsp black pepper*

*included in Spice Pack
mise-en-place
I almost could not fit all of these ingredients in one picture. It took a lot of strategic placement. You will also need a large skillet, a small mixing bowl, and either a large zip-close bag or a bowl with a fitted lid.

1. Mix lime and orange juices, oil, all of the spices and salt in a small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade. Place the chicken strips in the plastic bag or in a bowl with a fitted lid. Add the remaining marinade; turn to coat the chicken well. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer for extra flavor.

2. Cook and stir chicken in large heated skillet on medium-high heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned.

3. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add bell pepper, onion and the reserved 1/4 cup of marinade. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.

4. Return chicken to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.

5. Spoon chicken minutes into warmed tortillas. Serve with assorted toppings, if desired.
And there you go! Yeah, yeah - paper plates. I copped out. I was feeling lazy, what of it?

Man, I really need a bigger skillet. I think it's time I go and buy one bigger than 10" (insert sexual innuendo joke here).

This was a great recipe to make for having friends over. If I had thought more ahead of time, I probably would have had sour cream and cheese to add onto these fajitas, but I decided to make them at the last minute and kind of, well, forgot. But they were delicious anyway, even without added toppings. Omnom!

You know what I realized? This recipe would totally be awesome using strips of steak instead of chicken. Man, I can't wait to try that out!

Okay, the next entry is Huevos Rancheros - traditionally a breakfast dish, but there's nothing wrong with having it for dinner either! Then, I'm going to be making margarita cupcakes, and then Black Bean Stuffed Peppers (made in the crock pot)!

Until next time: ¡coma, beba y sea alegre!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now without the typos:

    There's a great restaurant supply store in Boonton (I'm thinking that could work in case mom doesn't still have her card for Restaurant Depot). Nice people, and cheerfully open to the public.

    ReplyDelete