Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce

I can't believe it's 2012! I hope everyone had a great holiday and a safe new year. I provided another 7 Layer Dip but due to lack of time and money, I did not prepare my own guacamole or make my own chips. I will say that over the past year, I discovered the ultimate time saver. While I do enjoy making my own guacamole, I can't think of a better store-bought brand than Wholly Guacamole! 

I was making a 7 Layer Dip to enjoy while we were holding a garage sale and absolutely none of the avocados were ripe, nor would they be ripe in time for me to make the dip, so I had to resort to buying it pre-made. I thought pre-made guacamole was going to be mushy and taste like plastic but on the contrary, it was creamy, rich, well-seasoned and had big chunks of avocado in it! I was so impressed by it that I now keep a couple of packages of it in my freezer for emergencies (you just never know when someone is going to drop by unannounced with an extra large bag of potato chips...or when Pringles are on sale).

OK, so let's get down to this awesome recipe I have for you. I found this recipe over the summer while I was looking for something really simple, and something to do with a pound of ground turkey that I had in the freezer, but also something really different. Burgers are a very "summer" type of meal and this is kind of a "summer" recipe, but that doesn't stop me from making it as much as I can. Matt absolutely LOVES this recipe and he gets super excited when I mention that this is going to be for dinner. 

I have to add that I looooooove Greek food. It's probably one of my favorites, tied for first with Italian and Mexican. I don't know what it is I love about it - the tangy tastes of feta, lemon and olives, strong herbs, hearty meats...just delectable! Taramosalata, pastitsio, gyros, souvlaki, spanakopita, the list goes on! Gyro night was a popular dinner night when I lived at home, and everyone loved my mom's homemade tzatziki sauce. Tzatziki sauce is a cucumber and yogurt sauce that is flavored with herbs, lemon juice, and/or olive oil. There are many different ways to make it, but I have never met a tzatziki I haven't liked. It is commonly served on gyros, or as an appetizer with some pita bread.

Now, this recipe isn't exactly the most Greek of Greek recipes; it's more Greek-inspired. But to be honest, this burger reminds me of eating a gyro - except on a bun instead of a pita.

GREEK TURKEY BURGERS WITH TZATZIKI SAUCE, from BettyCrocker.com
Makes 4 burgers
YOU WILL NEED...
for the TZATZIKI SAUCE:
1 (6 oz) container of Greek yogurt (I like Fage 2% the best!)
1/4 cup chopped cucumber 
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed 
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

for the BURGERS:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup (approx. 4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon pepper 
1 clove garlic, finely chopped 
4 burger buns, split
1 medium tomato, sliced (optional)

I was stupid and totally forgot to buy red onion at the supermarket! All I had was yellow, but it didn't really make a difference in the way the burgers or the sauce tasted. As long as you have a sweet onion on hand, I don't think red or white really matters. 

Here is my mise-en-place! 


I love fresh dill. It is so delicious and tangy and when I buy a bunch, it doesn't go to waste because my rabbit loves to eat dill too. Whatever I don't use for cooking or nibble on myself, I chop up and give to the bunny.

For this recipe, you will also need some mixing bowls on hand, as well as a skillet to cook the burgers (unless you are using a grill). 

Here's what you do! 

1. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the yogurt and all other sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 


2. Heat gas or charcoal grill. Alternatively, heat a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix all burger ingredients and remaining yogurt. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 1/2 inch thick.


3. Place patties on grill over medium heat. Cover grill, if using. Cook 8 to 10 minutes turning after 5 minutes, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160 degrees F.


4. Place burgers on buns; top with tzatziki sauce and tomato, if using. 


There's the glamour shot right there! What a good looking burger. I did not have any tomato, so I topped the burger with some sliced leftover onion and some cucumber slices, which enhanced the flavor of the burger and the sauce. 

I love, love, love this recipe and I could make it every week and not get tired of it. The feta gives the burger texture, and the dill and onion cooked into the burger make for a great surprise "crunch". The tzatziki is delicious and cool, with a great flavor. With this meal, I made some roasted potatoes, and put some of the tzatziki sauce on those too. YUM!!! 

I'm really starting to get back into the swing of things with this cooking blog thing. I hope you guys keep checking in and letting me know your feedback! Here are some recipes that will be featured soon: 
Cajun Red Beans & Rice 
Chicken & White Bean Chili 
Sloppy Janes 
"Thunder Thighs", an original recipe by me!! 
Bayou Stroganoff

I'm still trying to decide what else, but those are definite future features. 

Until next time ... eat, drink and be merry!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh. Shawn loves turkey burgers, so we may have to try this too! :D

    ReplyDelete