Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Glazed Orange Poppy Seed Cake

Question: What. Is better. Than cake?!

Answer: Nothing.

Christmas? Overrated. World peace? Never going to happen. Winning the lottery? There's a better shot of world peace.

Cake is certainty.
Hyperbole and a Half

Welcome to the very first dessert-themed entry of Cogito Ergo Nom! Usually I don't like making desserts because they're a serious pain in the butt. But this one was so simple I couldn't not try it.

That being said, yesterday was full of food. I made a 7 Layer Dip and Fiance whipped up some chicken drumsticks with our favorite Cholula hot sauce (we jokingly call it "Cthulu sauce", after a hilarious mispronunciation during a visit to IHOP).

Anyway. I also made this cake. 

I mentioned a few entries ago that it's entirely possible to make a cake in a crock pot. I'm confirming this. I made a cake in the crock pot. I was originally going to make this cake a couple of weeks ago to bring to Shabbat service, but I was so sick that week we didn't end up going. The ingredients and the recipe were calling to me, just waiting to be whipped up. Finally, last night, Superbowl Sunday, I gave in and I made the cake. We had a few friends over not necessarily to watch the football game, but to watch the commercials and wait around for the new episode of "Glee" (which was awesome. The mash-up between "Thriller" and "Heads Will Roll" was epic, and the show's hair/makeup/costume people had their work cut out for them).

Here's how to make this cake - super easy and it tasted amazing! 

GLAZED ORANGE POPPY SEED CAKE, courtesy of the Crock Pot Recipe Collection

YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE BATTER:
1 1/2 cups buscuit baking mix
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange peel

FOR THE GLAZE:
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
NOTE: I did not have any orange juice but I did juice the orange that I'd grated the zest from. Smart, yes?! I also just realized that I forgot to put the powdered sugar in the mise-en-place. D'oh! By the way, for all you n00bs like me out there, "powdered sugar" is the same thing as "confectioner's sugar". Just so you know. 'Cus I didn't at first. Also, I was out of milk so I used half-and-half. It's half milk. So....it works, right? (Right)

Other than a crock pot, you will need two medium-sized mixing bowls and a whisk. A spatula is desired, not required.

1. Coat the inside of a crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Cut waxed paper into a circle to fit the bottom of the crock pot (trace the insert bottom and cut slightly smaller to fit). Spray bottom with cooking spray.
Thank you to Colleen who did this part for me because I didn't feel like it.
2. Whisk together baking mix, sugar and poppy seeds in a medium-sized bowl; set aside. In another bowl, blend sour cream, egg, milk, vanilla and orange peel. Whisk wet ingredients into dry mixture until thoroughly blended.

3. Spoon batter into crock pot and smooth the top (here's where a spatula would come in handy). Place a paper towel under lid, then cover. Cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 HOURS. Cake is done when top is no longer shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

4. Invert the cake onto cooking rack, peel off wax paper and allow to cool right-side-up on cooling rack.
It's shaped weird because my crock pot is in the shape of an oval, not circular. Also, as I'm' sure you can see, the cake got just a little burned. My crock pot does not have a manual time setting - only 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours. So, to bake this for only 90 minutes, I had to set it to 4 hours, then set my microwave timer. During halftime, we decided our ears had been damaged by the Black Eyed Peas, so my fiance decided to blast Five Finger Death Punch to "cure" us. It must have been during that time that my microwave timer went off. Good thing I meandered into the kitchen a short while later and realized that the timer was no longer counting down. The damage, however, was minimal. I'm told it didn't taste burned at all. Huzzah!

5. To make the glaze, whisk orange juice into powdered sugar. 


6. Cut the cake into wedges and place on cooling rack with a tray underneath to catch the drips. With a small spatula or knife, spread glaze over top and cut sides of each wedge. Sprinkle poppy seeds over top and allow glaze to set. 
Yummy! 

Be forewarned - the glaze all by itself is REALLY, REALLY SWEET. I mean, it's 90% powdered sugar for goodness sake. But when it's set into the cake - dear God. It's delicious! I was afraid that the orange flavor in both the cake and the glaze would be too overpowering, but I was wrong (as usual).

Coming up this week, two recipes I've never tried before, and one "repeat offender" that I cannot wait to share and try again! Wednesday night I'll be making Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes & Asparagus Risotto. Thursday I will be making shrimp scampi - but be forewarned, this is a healthier version, one that is not drowning in butter. But I promise, it is still delicious!!!

Until next time - eat, drink and be merry!

2 comments:

  1. As i made a look into this blog, i found it to be surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article is worth learning! We always take out to see.leave deep impression to the person. I can have it, really great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete