Your kitchen's more afraid of you than you are of it.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Greek Salad Pizza

I was going to whip up this dish last night, but I was still feeling icky from eating so much fondue. It's not that it was bad fondue, because it totally wasn't, I just ate waaaaay too much of it. I had a stomachache almost all day on Monday and eating a delectable, greasy diner breakfast sure as hell didn't help my cause. So last night I just took it easy and made a salad for dinner.

But tonight I am going to prepare the Greek Salad Pizza. I found this recipe when I decided to try some vegetarian dishes. I noticed we weren't getting enough veggies in our diet.

At first glance, you might look at this recipe and think, there is NO WAY this is a filling meal. But I beg to differ. This is a simple weeknight meal that is thrown together in a matter of minutes. I'll admit that I got a bit of a late start because I was too distracted by the "Green Hornet" marathon that's been on the SyFy channel all day.

Has anyone been watching that?! I've been catching episodes here and there and it took me right back to my childhood. I remember my parents always getting super excited when it was on TV, and I love a good kick ass hero show. Also, Bruce Lee was the man!

No, District Attorney Frank P. Scanlon, you're the man! 

I'm pretty stoked for the movie come out on Friday. I might have to go see that ASAP - if I'm not snowed in of course. They're predicting 12" of snow by me!

Okay, let's roll Kato...

GREEK SALAD PIZZA, courtesy of Allrecipes.com
YOU WILL NEED:
1 (8oz) can of Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
3/4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup plain hummus
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup Greek olives, halved
3 slices of red onion, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil


You will also need a 15x10 baking pan and a rolling pin, if you have one. The only adjustment I made to this recipe was I used my favorite Greek olive hummus instead of plain.

1. Unroll the dough and press into an ungreased pan; press perforations to seal (here's where the rolling pin would come in handy!). Sprinkle with rosemary and salt. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

2. Spread hummus over the crust (using a rubber spatula makes this step a breeze).

3. Top with cheese, tomatoes, olives and onion. Drizzle with oil.

4. Cut and serve!

Easy, sure to please, and overall healthy. The crescent rolls make for a crispy, flaky crust. This is a good recipe to make if you need something fast and filling and you don't have the energy to whip up an entire meal. It could also serve well as a lunch recipe, especially if you're entertaining.

To be honest, the crescent rolls work so well as a crust that you could probably make any type of pizza using this. Actually .... challenge accepted. I'm going to try it one day. I'll let you know how that turns out.

I know it's a supershort blog tonight but it was a supershort recipe! Coming up this week, I have Chicken Tikka Masala and Pasta Puttanesca - both of which are way easier than they sound - as well as reveal one of your supermarket's best kept secrets. I was also planning on making a slow-cooker salmon recipe, but salmon was almost $10 a pound at my supermarket. Way too expensive. I'll wait for the price to come down before attempting it. But these other two recipes coming up are new for me and I am so excited about trying them; I hope you're excited about seeing them!

For all you New York and New Jersey residents who are gearing up for snow, stay safe! I know for a fact I won't be able to go anywhere tomorrow and the day will be spent Rock Banding, especially since Fiance has the day off. Everyone else, I'll see you on the internet!

To the Black Beauty, Kato!

No comments:

Post a Comment